By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://bhpgc.com/
(Vice) Captain's Announcements
Our Captain has travelled to sunnier climbs this week and has left his members with wet and windy weather. Good timing!
My first commitment this week was the four ball draw which takes place on the first Sunday of every month. The weather forecast was dire early doors but 6 intrepid golfers, 4 being septuagenarians, turned up anyway. Simon the chef was on hand to supply bacon rolls and we debated how the draw should be run. We agreed that Rays electronic randomiser wasn't necessary, so we put the balls in a hat and picked out two teams of three. The format was best two scores. The weather wasn't as bad as predicted and the course was definitely playable. The winning team was Eusebio, John Crisford and Peter Wafford. Our team, Varney, Big G and John Hayes were second.
A couple of months ago I proposed an increase in signage on the course, because when new members or 1st time green fee players use our course they are unaware where the next tee is, especially after playing the 4th, 8th, 10th and 13th holes. The new signs are indeed a great improvement and will speed up rate of play in the future.
Towards the end of next month I an thinking of re-introducing mixed social golf, playing 12 holes in teams of 3 or 4 with a light meal and prizes to follow. If anyone is interested would they please text or email me with their thoughts. I may second Joyce Crozier to my team as she was paramount to the organisation last time it was played.
On a serious note Bill Kilgallon has been seriously ill for the last few months but the Ladies Captain tells me that he is making progress albeit very slowly and I'm sure we all wish him a speedy recovery.
A few bullets to follow Ray's theme:
- There are a few places for next week's Annual Dinner so this is your last chance to book. Payments and menu choices required by Tuesday 12th March.
- Our first Mixed Fun Competition is being organised by John White for Thursday 4th April – Details are on the notice boards. Sign up early in the George Low Bar.
- Friday Club Nights are growing steadily so if you fancy starting the weekend early book a table or just come along for drinks – 20% double discount all night. Food served until 8 p.m.
- Sunday Lunches are now being served with the option to dine upstairs or downstairs in the newly refurbished bar.
- Mother's Day – We have over 80 booked already and the upstairs/downstairs ratio is about 50/50 – Limited online spaces are still available but please contact Debbie if the online booking system is showing fully booked.
Next week rock and roll Ray will be back so I can put my quill and ink away.
Further to Rays photograph of his errant golf ball in the hanging basket I had a similar experience a few years ago, playing the first hole from the white tee markers. My 3 iron tee shot hit the side of the clubhouse, ricocheted into the car park and in the front door of the pro shop. The next thing we saw was the then pro, Adrian Andrews, demanding to know who could play such an abominable shot! Of course I duly confessed it was me!
Very impressed with Big Gs first blog. Shame he only came second in Sunday's four ball draw (improvement is needed) JB