Return of the Blog - Onwards and Upwards
Hvordan har du det,
For any non-Daneophile, can there really be any, this is of course real Danish for 'how are you', the answer to which I trust is very well indeed.
This Danish bent is influenced by the fact that I am composing this blog at a kitchen table in Copenhagen. We are visiting our son and grandson, at late notice, otherwise I would be joining my compatriots in the BHP Seniors Open today. We have not held this event for some years and this is being run as a precursor to a similar event to be held next year during our Festival of Golf week, celebrating our 125th Anniversary. I am certain this trial will go exceedingly well and probably better without my interference, congratulations to Len and Big G in developing and producing this event.
I have to say that I laughed out loud when I saw a video of Neil Pereira on Instagram yesterday, flying across one of our greens on a greens ironing machine. Those things are pretty quick and Neil's expression was priceless but I wouldn't let him loose on one of my best shirts with that thing. We haven't purchased the machine as yet, it's on trial at the moment but maybe it could be an investment that we could share with other clubs, something for Mr Watts to consider I guess.
Have you completed the recent club survey form. Thank you to those who have done so and if you have not done so, please do so. We need your views, thoughts and feedback and this is the perfect forum for this. Your responses will be analysed and also compared with last year to see how we have performed since the last survey. Your club is trying hard to provide the facilities and entertainment that you want, please let us know how we are doing.
I don't think that here is any doubt that the course is looking and playing as well and possibly better than ever. The recent heavy rain may not be to everyone's taste but I am sure that Graham and his team are delighted with the recent precipitation. However, there is no reason to be complacent, we need to continue to improve and I know that Graham has plans to do exactly that. We all have our own ideas of what is needed. I think that along with beautification at key areas, we are sadly lacking on course facilities such as waste bins, ball cleaners and tee markers. With the 125th around the corner I hope we can consider how to address this slight concern.
The new short game practice area was opened last week. Another success for Graham and his team in delivering a great new facility on a very meagre budget, well done gentlemen. A great deal of thought is now going into how we could dramatically improve the driving range and practice bays areas. This will require serious investment but we need to be serious about improvement wherever we can and the very least that we can do is undertake a review. Danny has some really great ideas which will be explored and I hope we can provide some proposals in due course.
Similarly, we need to continue with a programme of refurbishments and improvements to the club house. We do not have the immediate resources required but we need to plan and consider how we could fund any serious proposals, which naturally I believe we could do. Any proposals will require your involvement, investment and commitment to plans for continuous improvement. Our club will be celebrating its 125 Anniversary next year, quite a milestone and something to be rightly proud of, it's our job to do it justice.
STOP PRESS – We will soon be able to announce our next Vice Captain, he will become VC to Big G, I just hope the medication doesn't wear off before he signs the contract.
Anyone for a few bullet points?
· This Sunday, not Saturday as publicised, sees the Gents Invitation to Ladies, all perfectly organised and produced by Big G, I can't wait.
· Italian Night on Thursday 22nd August with accompaniment from Claudio and Raffaele.
· Club Night Friday 30th August see the welcome return of the brilliant Alan Lovell, tables will be at a premium that night, with non-diners most welcome to join in, see you there.
· Bank Holiday Monday will see the Texas Scramble and Wilson Putting Vase plus other entertainment.
· The Pro Draw on 1 September should not be missed, it will feature a Pro v. Captain Ryder Cup style team competition – this will be entertaining but where did Judith get that picture of Danny?
· Farewell to Summer produced by the incomparable John White and his team will take place on Thursday 5 September, put your name on the list and join in the fun.
· Saturday 14th September, President's Day and dinner, booking essential to reserve your place.
· We still welcome new members, please make them feel welcome where you can.
· Captain Pro Challenge returns soon, fancy taking us on, Danny has a couple of spaces left.
· Thank you to those of you who have donated to the Macmillan Longest Challenge, money continues to flow in, if you want to contribute please use the link below, this will be most welcome https://longestdaygolf.macmillan.org.uk/Team/captainpro
Proof Read by Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry™