12 April 2019 (43567.00)
Die enim bona,
You don't need to be told that this is the form of "Good Day" used by the Romans in Gladiator. You knew that obviously, but why use such a language is the question. Well, basically, a few members have requested a more intellectual blog, so this is at least a starter for 10.
First though, (how's that Cela?) we can welcome another new playing member this week. Brilliantly, we have a woman this week, Holly "Avent". Unfortunately for Holly, I have the inside track on her, due to her close relationship with the Avents. I am slightly confused here though because Holly is marrying Jack on 23 April this year but seems to be sharing his name already, well it's a decent name so why not. Anyway, Holly is warmly welcomed into the club and especially by the ladies section since Holly brings with her an 11 handicap. Nice.
STOP PRESS – Welcome also to Simon Bennett, a very new Lifestyle member.
Welcome to any other new members who join us this week and apologies that I don't have the relevant information, don't worry your turn will come.
By the time you read this, it is highly probable that the imminent Captain Pro Challenge will be over and the mess probably cleared up. On this occasion the gauntlet has not been thrown down, it has been hurled at Danny and I by the "Allen Twins", AKA Graeme and Jack Allen, the inventors of the brilliant Allen Screw(bolt). For security reasons, the result will be revealed next week.
The challenges are booking up very nicely and if you fancy a go, please talk to Danny who will sort you out.
The weather seems to be responding just in time for the inaugural mixed event of the year, to be played at the club this Sunday. We kick off the mixed season with the Brasted Trophy. Yes, an odd name but the trophy was originally presented in 1964 by Douglas Brasted and its been called the Brasted Trophy ever since. If you fancy some mixed golf, contact Mark Stevens or Janet Connor and they will sort you out and I can vouch that they are really good fun, subject to your playing partner, which reminds me, I had better get the apologies in early, "Sorry Sue".
Final, (Cela?), Jed French has pulled some big strings and has persuaded an ex member of the 60's pop group, the Swinging Blue Jeans to perform live at our club night on Friday 3 May. This should be a great night and although I think that all tables are now booked, please check with the club for cancellations or just turn up for drinks, it will be worth it. No entry fee and double discount, spectacular.
The social scene at the club is building very nicely, with loads more entertainment booked and others in the pipeline, sounds painful but worth waiting for.
Anyone for Bullet Points?
- Big G is organising a programme of social mixed, 12-hole competition golf, starting on Thursday 25 April. Fun golf plus a light bite in the bar afterwards – please sign up in the George Low Bar or contact Big G for more details.
- Charity Day at the club Monday 6 May – please enter your teams on any of the 4 available sign up formats. Members and non-members all welcome, teams and singles, we need you.
- The New Bar Name to be revealed very soon.
- Our catering team is growing in confidence and expertise but we continue to make a few school boy errors. It is important that you report your experiences both good and bad please, without this information the team cannot know of problems and make the necessary improvements. Considering the seismic shift to move to inhouse catering, I think this is performing very nicely, providing us with the flexibility to adapt to member requirements and provides an additional revenue stream, which is very nice. Congratulations to Stewart, Simon, Debbie and the club team.
- Congratulations to David Boothroyd, who spotted that I had spelt Nogin the Nog incorrectly, but does he know what the number in brackets at the top of the page means.
- Well done to Alison "Bad Girl" Towndrow, who organised a harp recital, played by her famous brother at the club last Saturday, raising £750 for the charity Medical Detection Dogs – Brilliant.
- Look out for the Seniors Open being held at the club on Thursday 15 August and also a Junior Open on Thursday 30 May, which is a qualifier for Middlesex Golf Order of Merit.
- When watching the Masters on TV, look out for Kieran Costello who is moonlighting there, but don't tell his wife. Do you know anyone else who has gone this year?
See you soon,
Proof Read by EXACTO.COM