Captains Blog Stardate -33333.33(18 January 2019)
The weather has turned a bit chillier, with some bright sunshine but still no significant rain, so all still really good on the golfing front, technically speaking.
More good news on the membership front, this week we welcome Ian Rudd as a Lifestyle member, who has been referred by Chris Agapiou. Well done Chris, I am sure Ian will slot straight in and we all look forward to meeting him in due course.
I am delighted to report back on the Captain Pro challenge which took place last Sunday. Whilst Danny and I lost 3 and 2 to 'Slow Hand" and "New Car, I was whisked unceremoniously back in time to the very early 1990's. Why would that be, well simply because Jonny "Slow Hand" Welch brought with him the old High Noon Challenge Cup which four of us used to play for back in the day. In those days, the course was fully booked on Sunday mornings and as happy 6-day members we played for this prestigious trophy. Time passed, things changed, we stopped playing together and unfortunately the cup was ultimately resigned to a skip by Jon's wife. Remarkably though, a mate of Jon's liberated it from the skip and took it home. Many years later and to Jon's utter surprise the cup was returned to Jon when attending a BBQ at his mate's house, I can't remember the details on how that happened but Jon brought it along to our Captain Pro Challenge. Marvelous. Now the cup will be presented to winners of the challenge, temporarily for photo opportunities only, as a mark of respect, lovely. We will get a photo of previous winners and losers for posterity and maybe also the Bush Telegraph. Before we close this chapter, I bet you are wondering who those four were so when you next see me ask and I'll tell you.
This Sunday will see a Captain Pro Challenge of a completely different nature when Kieron "Drive In" Costello and Ian "Hop Along" McNally take on your Captain and Pro. Please wish us luck and I hope to be able to report on that game next week.
The club continues relentlessly into 2019 with massively exciting changes. We say a fond farewell to Alasdair, who after 13 years will be leaving us this Sunday. Alasdair will have many memories of his time at BHP, some of which may make their way into his memoires, others will remain safely locked behind the "what goes on at the club, stays at the club" door. We all wish Alasdair the very best in his next venture and look forward to hearing of his future exploits.
As Alasdair leaves, Simon enters, metaphorically speaking, since Simon actually started with us last Monday. Hopefully you will have seen Simon's introductory email and there is no doubt in my mind that BHP in-house catering will be a massive success under his control. Not only will club menus change but also club opening hours and plenty more so please watch out for more info on this front as we rapidly progress.
The main bar refurbishment is forging ahead, hindered by me but fortunately serenely managed by Ross of CCB. Loads of stuff is going well, tons of stuff is going not so well but there is no doubt that the final result will make the effort well worthwhile. There will be a short report from me on completion which will also include a mention of the contractors who have well and truly stepped up on our behalf to help deliver the next incarnation of the main bar. So, more on this to follow later but right now, well done Silvio, what a star.
OK, it's bullet point time;
- The main bar is of course closed but from next Wednesday, a new bar menu will be available in the George Low, courtesy of our new Head Chef Simon, be there and test him out.
- There will be a grand reopening of the main bar so please look out for info on this but keep Friday 1 February free for this gala event.
- Sé Banim is once again organising his reciprocal match with Frinton GC with an away match on Wednesday 15 May and the return home match on Wednesday 12 June. More details will follow but please check in with Se´to let him know if you are available. Whilst the opposition are known as WAGS, there will not be a woman in sight.
- Burns Night is sold out.
- The Friday Night Happy Hour will return having had a decent re-branding and makeover and will follow the reopening of the main bar, please look out for details.
- For those of you reading this today, the Mike Clarke quiz league starts tonight, if not too late but there is always the next one.
- The club diary is now live and interactive on the club website, have a look and see what you think. With time this will become even better as background links are added. Magic.
- STOP PRESS – Peter Smith receives a card from the Queen, no not Alan Carr, our actual Queen, to celebrate 60 years of marriage to the lovely Brenda, well done Brenda.
There is plenty more to report but no more time, so have a good one and may your golfing God be with you.
Moderate Golf Blogs©